Friday, August 24, 2018

How it all began...

Several years ago the BMW Motorcycle Owners Club of Minnesota held a contest to see who could take a picture of their motorcycle in front of the most "Welcome to [insert state here]" signs. I happened to be riding the Iron Butt Associations "48/10" (riding your motorcycle to 48 states in 10 days or less) that fall. I rode to all 48 states, dutifully taking photos at each border crossing, and then promptly did... nothing. I didn't enter at all... whoops. Fast forward a couple years and we arrive to Spring 2018.

I happened to be crossing back into Minnesota from a trip to Wisconsin and noticed the large "Welcome to Minnesota" entry monument along the side of the road. I thought "man, I wonder how many of those there are?" Luckily the MN Department of Transportation actually has a map of each entry monument. 

As I generally enter the BMW MN Club and the national BMW Motorcycle Owners of America mileage contest (see how many miles you can ride from April until October), I thought it would be cool if I rode my motorcycle to each one of the entry monuments and snapped a photo.

That blossomed into... "gee, I wonder if anyone has ridden every highway in Minnesota". After some hours on Google, I found nothing!

And so it begins... Riding Minnesota: A Man, a Motorcycle, and a Map of Minnesota 

No comments:

Post a Comment